[DGD] Pro's and Con's of <insert favorite hosting strategy here>

Noah Gibbs noah_gibbs at yahoo.com
Mon May 25 17:03:35 CEST 2009

  One option worth considering is something like SliceHost.  It's professional, but what you're renting is a virtual server so it can be as cheap as $20/mo for a server you have full and absolute control over, including console access (via remote app) and full root access.  Even their cheap options may be more resources than you'll need for a MUD, so it may not be able to compete with shared hosting for price (BlueHost is about $7/mo, IIRC, and offers shell accounts).  But you get much better control of the system, including choosing your own OS distribution and reinstalling as often as you like.  And SliceHost, unlike most shared hosting setups, are very unlikely to object to you running random custom servers as long as they don't send spam.