[DGD] Problem with listening ports with kernellib-net

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Thu Jul 22 19:14:05 CEST 2010

Sarah Bonner <parhelion at rpmud.net> wrote:

> I'm trying to run down a problem and have finally hit a brick wall.  I'm
> hoping this is the most appropriate place to find some help.
>
> I am using DGD 1.4.3., with a copy of the kernel-lib taken from wotf.org's
> svn repository (the trunk kernellib-net release).  This library appears to
> be the base kernel library patched to 1.3.3 with modifications made to ready
> the library for use with networking extensions.
>
> If DGD is compiled WITHOUT DNETWORK_EXTENSIONS, the game starts up just fine
> with no noticeable issues.
> If DGD is compiled WITH DNETWORK_EXTENSIONS, the game will start but will
> not accept incoming connections from telnet.
>
> I'm wondering if this is a known issue, or if this is not expected behavior?

No port is ever opened (this would have to happen from
kernel/sys/driver.c::_initialize()), so the real explanation is probably
that the -net portion of kernellib-net is incomplete and has never worked.
This is not a single easily-fixable issue.  As far as I can see, essential
functionality is simply not there.  Bart van Leeuwen is arguably working
on too many different mudlibs (WotF, Gurbalib, and kernellib-net).

As it stands now, kernellib-net is not usable with NETWORK_EXTENSIONS.
I would recompile DGD to work without, and wait for Bart to fix this
at some time in the future.

Regards,
Felix Croes