[DGD] Best method to make a wilderness map

RobF squaretriangle at hotmail.co.uk
Sat Feb 18 17:49:56 CET 2012

On 18/02/2012 02:08, "Mario A. Barragán L." wrote:
> Hi, i'm trying to make a big grid of rooms, something like 200x200, i'm
> based in a map
> i have in ascii, i'm using a system of coordinates, and creating clones
> of the rooms, but the memory is going up very quickly, with about 5000
> rooms loaded, the driver uses 60M aprox of ram, and loading new rooms is
> getting slow, is that normal for that amount of objects loaded??

Other people have pitched in with their answers on how to trim down the
memory footprint for the rooms (which are all legit suggestions), but
I'm full of questions about what was causing the slowdown in the first
place, as even without any memory optimization DGD should be able to
handle 60 megabytes of loaded rooms.  I thought swapping in the 5001th
room would be as quick as the first.  Unless 60 megabytes is exceeding
the system's ram and causing a lot of disk access?  Which I doubt is the
case.  Or is there some "hard limit" in the configuration which is
treated as a virtual limit on RAM which if exceeded will cause swapping
anyway?  That wouldn't surprise me, but I haven't endevoured to
understand all the configuration options yet.