[DGD] kotaka work

Jared Maddox absinthdraco at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 04:43:01 CEST 2012

> Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 09:11:06 -0700
> From: Shentino <shentino at gmail.com>
> To: "All about Dworkin's Game Driver" <dgd at dworkin.nl>
> Subject: Re: [DGD] kotaka work
>
> I was a bit sloppy and pushed early again.
>
> I swear I have no concept of stable vs development yet.
>
> Any of you workflow gurus have any advice for me?
>
> I'm still new at this collaboration thing and my git repo is still
> acting as a linear "goof insurance" buffer.

I second Noah's suggestion of branches. I currently only use SVN, but
since my project has gone through various iterations, the branches
still come in useful.

The particular structure that I use is a branch named 'trunk' for
working, and others (I think I'm using a v0/v1/etc. system right now)
for 'stable' points (which, currently, means abandoned). I believe
that the CVS equivalent of my 'stable' branches is called tags (though
I've never used CVS, so maybe I'm wrong).

Also relevant, the TinyCC project currently uses Git, including a
public branch named 'mob' that anyone can contribute to. The releases
in that project are dealt with (only sort of, since there aren't many
active devs) like an editorial system, rather than a programming
system.