[DGD] just out of curiosity

Par Winzell par.winzell at alyx.com
Mon Sep 10 15:08:14 CEST 2012

I don't remember you from eight years ago. This is still a curious
email. It reads to me as fundamentally a complaint that Felix is busy
writing a driver and not particularly interested in hobnobbing with you,
oddly entwined with a minor technical diversion and some bizarre
inquiries into Felix' personal situation.

As far as I can tell, DGD is pretty much exactly what it's always been.
It's absolutely state of the art, and incredibly stable. It's obviously
still being vigilantly maintained. It doesn't have lots of documentation.

I suspect Felix is still as ready as he was a decade ago for someone in
the MUD world to actually do something serious with DGD, but we've seen
nothing beyond a series of well-meaning hobby attempts. They're fine
attempts, but I think your implication that it ought to be in Felix'
professional interest to maintain an encouraging, upbeat presence on
this list is contradicted by history. He supplies the driver. Let that
be enough. If you feel compelled to work on the documentation, by all
means, go help the open-source project. That's how this is supposed to work.

What "odd design philosophy" is supposed to mean I can't begin to guess.

At the end of the day, I would've been ready to respond with a great
deal more enthusiasm to some parts of your mail, but overall it leaves a
rather unpleasant taste in my mouth. My suggestion is that when you
write a mailing list so clearly centered around the intellectual
accomplishments of one man, you avoid bitching about him -- especially
if you feel you have some previous bad history with the list to make up
for. You come across as pretty tone deaf.

Zell