[DGD] just out of curiosity

RobF squaretriangle at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 16:26:41 CEST 2012

On 10/09/2012 13:51, Par Winzell wrote:

Ok, I see you didn't understand.

I stressed the acknowledgement of the technical accomplishment and the
criticism in way of saying that i'm keeping them distinctly separate,
and that I'm not going to let any admiration go to my head or pull
punches when I have a problem with his style of communication.

You'd be right to say, if you were to have said it, that one doesn't
come into someone's home and accuse one of not being up to standard--he
reserves the right to kick me out of here if he so likes, if he sees me
as having done that.  But--he left the door open (people can subscribe
as they wish), and so presumably, he wants people to join the list,
consume and use the driver he provides and to use this list as a forum
for idea exchange--with himself participating in that effort as well.

So, I see it as a contradiction to supply the driver and then display a
distinct lack of interest in the actual needs of the people attempting
to understand and use it.  The line of inquiry, basically summed up as
'what is he doing it for' was an attempt to understand why he is so
off-handed in the answers he gives, displaying either an
absent-mindedness towards, or lack of interest, in the actual needs of a
particular person's situation and goals when attempting to understand
and use his driver.  Evidently, you either haven't noticed this in his
communication style, or you think it isn't your place to point such a
thing out, or it just doesn't matter.

> I think your implication that it ought to be in Felix' professional
> interest to maintain an encouraging, upbeat presence on this list is
> contradicted by history. He supplies the driver. Let that be enough.

I don't know what you mean by 'contradicted by history'.

It's not an encouraging, upbeat presence that I require or expect, and I
don't know how you twisted around what I said as being that.  I don't
expect him to do anything--except what he actually is trying to do.  If
it's for DGD to be an accessable MUD driver to others, then he doesn't
help that effort with his communication style.  If it's for some
commercial purpose where the MUD side of things is now an afterthought,
then how he acts makes sense, if being less than stellar on the
personable hob-nobbing side of things, but I don't give a damn about
that as you were suggesting I did.  If creating the driver is just an
end in itself and letting others use it is an afterthought, same thing.