[DGD] just out of curiosity

Ragnar Lonn prl at gatorhole.se
Tue Sep 11 16:11:31 CEST 2012

On 09/11/2012 03:32 PM, Felix A. Croes wrote:
> Ragnar Lonn <prl at gatorhole.se> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> The problem with DGD/Hydra, for this particular application, is that it
>> is not meant to be run in a distributed environment. Any system that is
>> not distributed will not have enough CPU cycles for anything but a small
>> world with few players. You can get away with some sharding maybe, or
>> transferring objects between different state machines, but it will be
>> messy.
> This isn't true anymore, DGD & Hydra now explicitly support outbound
> connections.  The problem of efficiently distributed servers is still
> unsolved, but DGD/Hydra can be part of the solution.

I guess the overall question is: is DGD/Hydra a good starting point for
building a massively scalable, distributed state machine, or would it be
easier to start with something else, or completely from scratch?

When you mention outbound connections, I guess you mean that state
distribution should be done in LPC. Would that be fast enough?

I want:

1. huge scalability. Up to hundreds of thousands of physical nodes where
each node supports hundreds of thousands of objects
2. a seamless world, where interaction between objects is always
reasonably fast from a user's point of view
3. reliability. A failed physical node will not cause service
interruptions (multiple-copy state redundancy). Multiple concurrent
failures can at most cause temporary interruptions (physical media state
backups/snapshots). Loss of data can happen, but is kept to a minimum
and consistency is not compromised.

   /Ragnar