[DGD] just out of curiosity

Par Winzell par.winzell at alyx.com
Wed Sep 12 19:40:23 CEST 2012

On 9/12/12 12:24 PM, Schmidt, Stephen wrote:
> I'd been thinking mostly in terms of 2D art, just because it's easier. But if 3D is
> required to get traction... that does make the problem much harder.

I'm not convinced that's true, actually. With 2D, you are basically
drawing, and it's hard to detach drawing from "style". Whereas a 3D
engine does attempt to implement a reality, after all, and you can
theoretically do a lot to procedurally generate/manipulate textures and
models.

I know, it's easy to overstate how much you can do procedurally, but
that's offset by how incredibly liberating it is not to have to rely on
a studio full of artists. If I ever had a few years to devote to any
kind of 3D virtual world endeavour, I think I would be willing to make a
lot of game design decisions simply to be able to use an algorithmically
generated world.

Of course, there's still "style" in the algorithms. But it's no longer
quite art-as-distinct-from-tech, and perhaps more amenable to modding.

Zell