[DGD] just out of curiosity

Wim van der Vegt wim at vander-vegt.nl
Thu Sep 13 21:14:00 CEST 2012

Hi,

FAYI, A long ago (file timestamps date back to 1995) there was already a
nice client called Pueblo (<http://www.chaco.com/>) that integrated 3D
client-side graphics with lpc (and dgd). It used html & vrml to render
and animate rooms. It had a nice demos like of solving the chess queens
problem in lpc. Much to my suprise it's now opensource
(<http://pueblo.sourceforge.net/>), guess I did look ito it for it since
2005.

The problem I see with 2D and 3D graphics is that most programmers
(including me) are not graphical designers and it's that design that is
hard and takes long to get right and in the end determines if the user
plays it more that a couple of minutes.

Personally I hardly play muds anymore (was a bit too addicted to one and
just had to stop). But the textual nature is just a part of the learning
curve and once past that they suck a player into gameplay just as much
(and maybe even more) then Warcraft. The depth of the muds I played was
far beyond Warcraft.

It's the first part of that learning curve that imho kept off a lot of
players (and not the depth, storylines etc.).

In the end, I still have a soft spot for Dgd (must update sources).
--
Wim van der Vegt