[DGD] just out of curiosity

Wim van der Vegt wim at vander-vegt.nl
Fri Sep 14 10:27:27 CEST 2012

Hi Ragnar (and others),

I Could not agree more!

Graphical MMO's are very slowly growing beyond their current simplicity
of quest going like 'bring this item from a to b' and 'slash n identical
monsters roaming around nearby'.

The only thing IMHO MMO's brought new is massive dungeon raid type of
gameplay (but still these monster behave very predictable). Slowly MMO's
like Guildwars are creating NPC's that adapt to the crowd facing them,
making it more fun to play and give the game more depth. The social part
of MMO games is as important as it was in traditional muds.

Graphical is the way but it's also where the big money is (not only to
earn but first to pay on wages of designers). Guildwars II took more
then two year (acconding to my kids) to create (with already a solid
base) and how long have we been waiting on successors of some Blizard
games. I think mud's are more 'hobby' type of project of work where
MMO's are big business. And lets not forget, there are not that many
successfull MMO's (still) around. But a lot of illegal/private Warcraft
servers share the same 'hobby' like character of MUD's with enthousiatic
admins.
Having tried 3D game creation environments like Unity3D I can say, mud
are easier to program (to be exact, the programming is the least of the
problems, decent 3D [animated] models are the problem).

So I think a real win might be if tools like DGD/Hydra could be used to
create decent looking 2D/3D games without to much knowledge of graphical
design.

I also think people are a it more superficial and most of them flock in
herd. It's that and lack of a decent span of attention (the zapping
culture) that perhaps drives people into these MMO's. Today people zap
from one killer app/game to the next.

What i found very refreshing recently was Diablo-III's mix of single and
multiplayer (just open your private game for a while, invite some
players to solve a problem and continue). For the rest the game was the
usual boring kill them all. But it was the mix or almost borderlessness
of single and multiplayer that was interesting.

As for DGD, I wonder what exact type of application Felix sees for
Hydra. It's surely powerfull enough to run chat, messaging services and
multiuser games (altough there are alternatives like photon that are
essentially object mirroring servers that can serve multiple game
types). I personally think an integration into Unity3D as back-end
server would be nice (they have a very rudementary server).
--
Wim van der Vegt