[DGD] just out of curiosity

Ragnar Lonn prl at gatorhole.se
Fri Sep 14 09:03:01 CEST 2012

I agree that the depth of most MUDs that have been around a while are
way beyond WoW and other 3D games/worlds, including programmable ones
like Second Life. But this is not because the textual medium is better
than the graphical one (it is just different). It is because MUDs have
been around a long time and have managed to harness the power of the
creative community in ways that the 3D worlds have not - yet.

Those of you who have been around a while will remember the old
AberMUDs. Content there was very far from the quality you'll see in a
well-run MUD today. Graphics and 3D complicates things, yes, but saying
"it is too complicated/hard, it will never work" is such a whiny
attitude, IMO, and completely baseless - textual MUDs are incredibly
complex today compared to what they used to be, and that development
hasn't stopped. They are getting more complex by the day.

Going from textual to graphical is evolution. It provides a new user
experience/immersion and opens up the market to a much larger audience.
A larger audience means a larger recruiting pool for content creation
talent, and also more incentive for content creators to get into the
game (so to speak - to start creating content, I mean). Again, just look
at the crappy (sorry, but that's my opinion) example of 2nd Life. They
have managed to get millions of users, despite the fact that their
solution performs rather poorly and their world is a chaos of blinking
signposts where you couldn't find a cool atmosphere if your life
depended on it.

Textual is great, but it is a small niche. Graphical is mainstream,
which offers huge potential if you don't screw things up like 2nd Life
and forget that a creative community needs direction.

   /Ragnar