[DGD] Saving to disk

Blain blain20 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 06:24:03 CEST 2013

All good thoughts, guys.  I did intend to make a player's body unattackle
once linkdeath was noted (if I don't decide to just destruct immediately).
 Unfortunately, any delays in detecting linkdeath could cause the player to
die, but that's the same with any game.  On Anguish, players "statue" at
linkdeath and at 5 minutes idle.  At this point they become unattackle and
most other actions (especially harmful ones) are prevented as well.  For
me, though, doing something like statuing or just making their eyes go dim
to indicate their "driver" is not there is really a thematic one.  My lib
is intended to be generic and then extended for each individual thematic
game on top of it.  So I think that the points brought up about dying in
combat on linkdeath, etc. can be handled in various ways depending on the
theme of the game.  But my original point was deciding if to move the body
(upon quitting and/or linkdeath) to a meat locker forever or saving to disk
and destructing.  Many who like persistence posted before (in the archives)
that persistence gives a free license to just let the body hang around
waiting for the player. I expressed my dislike for the idea because
swapfiles can become corrupted. Of course, so can a savefile!  But the
savefile of a player who hasn't logged in for a long time has less a change
to become corrupted if it's a stand-alone file as opposed to being mingled
with currently active data in the swapfile.  I think this was and is my
primary point regarding this design decision.

On the topic of the "/obj/thing", I'm still leaning toward using
inheritance trees for the various object classes.  It just seems to be less
confusing if each inheritor can build on its inheritee by setting up some
general settings.  But also, each inheritor can introduce its own set of
modules and redirect some sets and queries to these modules before the
inheritees can do the same to their own sets of modules.  These modules
would not be inherited, but off to the side in an array. Some examples of
modules might be a sword which has a special process when it hits a
monster, or even simple modules like a container being openable and
closeable.  Although the latter could be coded inside the container object
with this inheritance scheme.  Modules could still get a swipe at modifying
the behavior of the opening/closing sequence, though.  I think the
/obj/thing idea really just pushes all the customization into the memory
instead of having startup files do the basic setup of a given object class.
 I think this is where the confusion can come in because builders and
coders have to deal with memory-based object classes instead of being able
to see the code on file.  Maybe it's just personal preference, though.  I'm
really trying to move away from builders having to write startup files,
though, and I've taken great strides to do that.  Startup files make things
too rigid.  Savefiles, though, allow an object to change over time.  But
this puts the onus on the object class libraries to define the behavior of
a given object, and that's why I keep pulling away from an all-encompassing
/obj/thing.  I just see way too much class-specific behavior code going
into my objects that shouldn't be in -every- object class.  My most basic
object class at this point is an environment or zone.  This code doesn't
need any behavior code on opening and closing like a door or container
does.  Obviously the code to interact with objects in this way are going to
be in the body (yet another class which has unique behavior code that other
objects don't need), but some things will need to be defined in the class
objects to decide how to react and what messages to give.  In my design
notes which do pertain to using an /obj/thing, though, I was intending to
set up basic classes in memory which the builders would pull from, complete
with generic messages for each action that can be performed on them.  I
guess I just couldn't envision how this would actually look like when I sat
down to code it, so I kept moving back to inheritance trees.  At this very
moment, though, I only have data settings for all objects' physics and
descriptions, etc., so I haven't wasted a bunch of time on coding in either
direction just yet.  I'm still trying to figure out which route is best.
 You guys have been a help, and so has everyone in the archives.  I'm up to
2005 now, I think. ;)

Wish me luck on making the best damn mudlib ever (second only to Felix's!).
;)