[DGD] kotaka: new feature: object catalog

Kris Van Hees aedil at alchar.org
Tue Mar 26 04:54:53 CET 2013

Hm, this sounds a bit like the arbitrary naming of objects (classes) that I
implemented as part of my Master's thesis back in 1994-1995!  I am a bit
surprised to see that it has taken this long for an idea like this to show
up again.  In retrospect, maybe I should have proposed my changes to DGD as
'real' enhancement recommendations rather than leaving my implementation as
a one-off from the DGD source, for experimentation only.

Good going - ideas like this are interesting.  Now maybe someone can take
the extra step and truly implement arbitrary naming of objects as I did back
in the mid-90s, with support for e.g. inherit <id> rather than inherit <path>.
With the much improved DGD that we have now that should be quite a bit easier
than it used to be.

	Cheers,
	Kris

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 08:00:44PM -0700, Raymond Jennings wrote:
> Taking inspiration from SkotOS's ID system, I implemented an object
> catalgo that allows user definable names for objects that are much
> friendlier than /path#number variants.
>
> One enhancement above the skotos method is that object directories are
> distributed across multiple objects, one object per directory.
>
> This is to prevent the creation of a volatile centralized database
> that would wreak havoc during swapping.
>
> All relevant code is in the Catalog subsystem in the testmud section.

Never underestimate a Mage with:
 - the Intelligence to cast Magic Missile,
 - the Constitution to survive the first hit, and
 - the Dexterity to run fast enough to avoid being hit a second time.