[DGD] kotaka: new feature: object catalog

Raymond Jennings shentino at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 06:07:38 CET 2013

Afraid it's not really anything more than an alternate namespace for objects.

I'm also thinking of allowing multiple catalogs to co-exist and have
the same objects listed in different ways.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Kris Van Hees <aedil at alchar.org> wrote:
> Hm, this sounds a bit like the arbitrary naming of objects (classes) that I
> implemented as part of my Master's thesis back in 1994-1995!  I am a bit
> surprised to see that it has taken this long for an idea like this to show
> up again.  In retrospect, maybe I should have proposed my changes to DGD as
> 'real' enhancement recommendations rather than leaving my implementation as
> a one-off from the DGD source, for experimentation only.
>
> Good going - ideas like this are interesting.

Skotos already did this.

My guess is that they figured mud admins would get sick of referring
to objects by filename instead of more friendly categorizations.
Ditto for referring to clones by number.

> Now maybe someone can take
> the extra step and truly implement arbitrary naming of objects as I did back
> in the mid-90s, with support for e.g. inherit <id> rather than inherit <path>.
> With the much improved DGD that we have now that should be quite a bit easier
> than it used to be.

It would probably require runtime interpretation of inherit directives.

The kernel library presently does not allow this as far as I know.  If
anyone knows different, correct me.