[DGD] Winter

Blain blain20 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 23:08:59 CET 2014

Felix:

Great to hear from you.  I hope all is well in your neck of the woods.  Our
weather here dipped down to below freezing but lately has been quite nice
(around 60-70F).

Everyone:

I recently bought a small machine to act as a sandbox for running DGD and
such.  It's a GIGABYTE BRIX (
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5038#ov) and it runs
all the time with Debian on it.  It is fanless and quiet.  The only problem
is that the wifi module it comes with doesn't have a Linux module, so I had
to run a cord to the router.  I also tried some Linksys wifi dongles, but
they, too, didn't have modules.  I set the whole thing up for about $225, I
think, including a 4 GB memory stick and a 500 GB HDD.  All of the
components are laptop parts in a little plastic box so it uses low wattage
(which is important in my household).  If anyone wants a simple home server
for low cost, this I recommend.

--Blain