[DGD] Uninterruptible Power Supply

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Thu Dec 22 16:10:54 CET 2016

I have had one for a couple years now, just got the batteries replaced.
It gets me some 4 1/2 hours of running time with my current hardware, now I
have 2 servers (both with 2 power supplies), a workstation and a switch
connected to it, but I also have a second tray of batteries installed.

An UPS is of limited use until you also setup your machines to respond to a
switch to battery power, and especially to respond to the battery in your UPS
running low.

Keeping a machine up is the obvious, but less important function of an UPS,
the more important function is to give your machines the chance to shutdown
properly and prevent half written data, unclean filesystems, out of sync disk
arrays and all that.

As an aside, do you have both redundant storage, and backups? I found those to
be the most valuable investment in redundancy and recovery (and those 2 serve
different purposes, backups are not an alternative to redundant storage and
neither is redundant storage an alternative for backups).

But... how is this related to dgd? :-)

Bart.

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 22:06:45 -0800, Raymond Jennings wrote

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrobjective/
http://www.om-d.org/