[DGD] Where did all the players go?

Raymond Jennings shentino at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 18:30:50 CET 2017

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 8:56 AM,  <bart at wotf.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 08:15:38 -0800, Raymond Jennings wrote
>> I was informed by a public post from ChrisA that one of the side
>> effects of a persistent world was a load of junk left behind in
>> Marrach, including but not limited to heaps of scrolls, and piles of
>> food items that should long since have decayed.
>
> Yes, this was why I mentioned how a persistent world more or less requires
> enforced decay of things. I made some pretty extensive design for truely huge
> game world with 'managed persistence' where things left alone may decay or
> otherwise get returned to the 'resource pool'. Managed in that some items
> might take pretty much forever, others will take a short time.

One of the comments found on phantasmal's website talked about a
world's "metabolism", and that comment in turn was probably found on
this very list in the past.  Noah often pulled notes like that when he
was maintainer of the phantasmal site.

> As the core for this game world would be generated from a map (either
> generated or a 'real' map provided as a file), all the persistence is based on
> layers on top of the generated world, where each layer has a different rate of
> decay.
>
> <snip>
>
>> One of the features they could have used DGD for was a persistnet
>> world...and they wound up implementing it with a hierarchial
>> save_object/load_object structure, plus a few daemons to pick up on
>> changed .c files.  Was actually pretty amazing to see how they'd
>> worked around missing what DGD has.
>
> Been there, done that, including the replacing of outdated objects and clones,
> transfering internal state (and while at it, saving and reloading internal
> state over reboots). It can be done, but quickly becomes a mess.

Yes, which is why I praise DGD for doing it the easy way.

> Yet, when all a game needs is player inventories persisting between sessions
> and over reboots, its often what lpmuds do. And while I really like the idea
> of a persistent world, many classic muds don't seem to need one, and for
> example due to your first comment, it might not even be desirable (WOTF still
> needs work on dealing with random junk lying around)

In this game, being able to plant a tree and watch it grow over a
month of RL time was immensely satisfying...and even got our druid
community lecturing the other PCs about johnny appleseeding

>> ...and as a wizard I had not succeeded in avoiding what seems to have
>> become an in-joke on their mud.  That of accidentally nuking every
>> tree in the world.  Seems to have turned into a rite of passage for
>> wizards.

> Been there, done that... :-)

> Its a risk inherent to most recomile and replace setups. I did at some point
> manage to protect my own implementation from this, but.. that was after it
> having gone wrong more than a few times.

Actually this had nothing to do with recompiling or replacing.  It was
a fat-fingered command at the wizard prompt. :P