[DGD] Where did all the players go?

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Tue Dec 12 17:56:34 CET 2017

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 08:15:38 -0800, Raymond Jennings wrote
> I was informed by a public post from ChrisA that one of the side
> effects of a persistent world was a load of junk left behind in
> Marrach, including but not limited to heaps of scrolls, and piles of
> food items that should long since have decayed.

Yes, this was why I mentioned how a persistent world more or less requires
enforced decay of things. I made some pretty extensive design for truely huge
game world with 'managed persistence' where things left alone may decay or
otherwise get returned to the 'resource pool'. Managed in that some items
might take pretty much forever, others will take a short time.

As the core for this game world would be generated from a map (either
generated or a 'real' map provided as a file), all the persistence is based on
layers on top of the generated world, where each layer has a different rate of
decay.

<snip>

> One of the features they could have used DGD for was a persistnet
> world...and they wound up implementing it with a hierarchial
> save_object/load_object structure, plus a few daemons to pick up on
> changed .c files.  Was actually pretty amazing to see how they'd
> worked around missing what DGD has.

Been there, done that, including the replacing of outdated objects and clones,
transfering internal state (and while at it, saving and reloading internal
state over reboots). It can be done, but quickly becomes a mess.

Yet, when all a game needs is player inventories persisting between sessions
and over reboots, its often what lpmuds do. And while I really like the idea
of a persistent world, many classic muds don't seem to need one, and for
example due to your first comment, it might not even be desirable (WOTF still
needs work on dealing with random junk lying around)

> ...and as a wizard I had not succeeded in avoiding what seems to have
> become an in-joke on their mud.  That of accidentally nuking every
> tree in the world.  Seems to have turned into a rite of passage for
> wizards.

Been there, done that... :-)
Its a risk inherent to most recomile and replace setups. I did at some point
manage to protect my own implementation from this, but.. that was after it
having gone wrong more than a few times.

Bart.