[DGD] Where did all the players go?

Blain blain20 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 05:29:17 CET 2017

I'm a firm believer that a fresh boot with no snapshot should yield a fully
functional game world.  Every inch of the game should be loadable from an
initial state from either a .c or .o file, or generated from a database of
set descriptions.  Player modifications to the world could still be saved
to disk, if desired.  All data about a player that isn't anchored in the
world (such as a castle) should be removed from memory if the player isn't
around.

An early MMO (either EverQuest or Ultima Online, I forget) saw on day one
and week one of opening that players do not behave as the game designer
would expect, so letting them make wide sweeping changes to the game world
will not pan out as designed.  I would not necessarily let them permanently
raze a forest, for example, if you actually wanted it to grow back some
day.  That is, unless you were very keen on keeping the players' focus on
different areas at different times depending on availability and need of
resources.

On Dec 12, 2017 22:18, "Blain" <blain20 at gmail.com> wrote:

Felix: Sorry for the off-topic plig.  it won't happen again.