[DGD] The battle of the protocols (was: A small toy)

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Sat Feb 11 03:06:23 CET 2017

On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 17:12:13 -0800, Raymond Jennings wrote
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 4:19 PM, <bart at wotf.org> wrote:
<snip>

> > fairness, with one simple addition at the server side (for which I used
> > node.js, but it is not the only solution)
>
> That, right there, is why I'm complaining.  The client side should be
> flexible enough to be able to do stuff WITHOUT requiring the server
> to make special accomodations or stuff.

That would be nice, but the world is not ideal.

> With a server just running code you control yourself?  Yes, fair.
> on the internet in general?  Not so much, and quite frankly it's a
> hassle anyway even on servers you control.

I disagree.

I went from 'ah yes.. javascript.. I last touched that 15 years ago' through
installing node.js, going through a few examples, to writing the small bit of
serverside and clientside javascript for that fortune.wotf.org site in about 8
hours. I already had the lpc json stuff, so only needed a listener and small
request handling object on the lpc side.

You may want something on aws or whatever running a stack with node.js if
running it on your own server is problematic (I can't see why if it does let
you run dgd). Its rather lightweight so for many things you'll be able to use
one of the free solutions. Using that all you have to do is indeed take some
of the example code from the node.js tutorials and morph it a bit to your own
needs.

A big hassle? not really. Not needed for your intended use cases? I can see
that, and I can also see why its annoying, but its really not such a difficult
problem to solve.

As an aside, you may find the event driven nature of serverside javascript
oddly familiar as LPC coder.

In my case it runs on a tiny dedicated VM on my vmware server, and makes that
its lpcdb instance (running on a different physical machine with lots of
memory and fast storage) doesn't need any internet access at all, it only
needs to be able to talk to that specific VM.

That setup has some obvious security advantages, which I'd otherwise have to
get from for example a second DGD instance acting as frontend server.

> You should be able to do stuff *without* having to go through a silly
> server-side process to HTTPify everything.

Don't use a browser as it is expected to work in a fully httpified environment ;-)

Bart.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrobjective/
http://www.om-d.org/