[DGD] DGD good choice for MUD with large-scale city simulation?

Da'ud Vyd d.vyd at outlook.com
Thu Dec 6 10:42:04 CET 2018

Hi folks,

I've developed a curiosity about DGD and was hoping you all might be able to guide me toward a decision

about which tools to use for a project. In short, my understanding is DGD is a combination database and

object mapper that requires a mudlib in order for someone to use LPC to build a MUD. Is that more-or-less

correct? If so, what mudlib is currently recommended for use with DGD?

Do DGD and mulibs attempt to capture/recreate past programming paradigms or are they current? For example,

can they take advantage of modern multiprocessor CPUs? On a machine with 6-processors, a fast SSD drive,

and 32gb of RAM, how would DGD compare against MySQL or PostgreSQL?

I'm planning a MUD that has a lot of non-standard functionality, including an underlying city simulation

in which objects (e.g. non-player characters or "mobs") are always active, building emergent story lines.

Ideally, I'd like millions of active objects. However, due to performance constraints I may need to get by

with a few thousand.

I'm familiar with scripting (Python & R) and have played with modern compiled languages (Go). For my project,

I've considered evennia<http://www.evennia.com/>, which is wonderful but works in a single thread--so not good for a city simulation.

coffeeMUD<https://github.com/bozimmerman/CoffeeMud> is multi-threaded but written in Java, which is completely alien to me.

Would you recommend DGD for my project? If not, do you have a different suggestion?

Thank you,

-da'ud vyd

d.vyd at outlook.com