[DGD] DGD good choice for MUD with large-scale city simulation?

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Thu Dec 6 22:14:51 CET 2018

"Da'ud Vyd" <d.vyd at outlook.com> wrote:

>[...]
> I'm planning a MUD that has a lot of non-standard functionality, including an underlying city simulation
>
> in which objects (e.g. non-player characters or "mobs") are always active, building emergent story lines.
>
> Ideally, I'd like millions of active objects. However, due to performance constraints I may need to get by
>
> with a few thousand.

DGD is modern, as mud servers go.  It is better, at what it does, than
MySQL or PostgreSQL, but you're asking for a comparison between apples
and oranges; MySQL and PostgreSQL are much better at providing an SQL
database.

DGD is single-threaded but still capable of handling many thousands of
objects with ease.  You could use Gurbalib as a mudlib.  To handle
millions would fall in the provision of Hydra -- a DGD-compatible
upgrade -- but that is commercial software and not open source, so I
assume it is not what you are looking for.

To be honest, you have big plans and there is no ready-made solution
for you.  Even with Hydra, it is going to take much more than knowledge
of scripting languages and Go.

Regards,
Felix Croes