[DGD] Kotaka + DGD flexibility and performance?

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Sun Dec 9 13:07:41 CET 2018

I have been putting a fair bit of thought into such a distributed system, and
within some constraints I think it can be made to work well.

The constraints mostly concern guaranteeing consistency between instances, and
making sure important transactions are atomic, ie a move between 2 areas which
are handled by different instances should still be atomic.

There are known approaches for this, but all of those involve some compromises
either on how fast you can handle transactions and/or how much consistency you
can guarantee, and always to what level you can guarantee consistency.

Put differently, offloading responsibility for data to another instance is not
much different from putting data in a database. As soon as your data is
external to the current dgd instance, you cannot properly guarantee
modifications are atomic to the same level as atomic functions in dgd can with
regards to data that is internal to dgd.

But, if your 'world model' can live with this, it is quite workable I think.

Bart.

On Sat, 8 Dec 2018 15:24:48 -0800, Raymond Jennings wrote
<snip>

--
https://www.bartsplace.net/
https://wotf.org/