[DGD] Codes of conduct on a mud

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Sun Dec 16 14:02:48 CET 2018

On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 22:23:40 -0800, Raymond Jennings wrote
> Ok, so one thing that caught my interest lately, is rules and
> enforcement on a mud.

Some would say.. it was about time for that.. :-)

> Some common themes:
>
> * a chain of command saying who gets to boss who around.  Plus
> there's also the infamous "Confessions of an archwizard"

Unless you are running a commercial game...start with the simple fact people
work for a mud in their spare time, so rather than focussing on who gets to
boss whom around, look at who gets which responsibilities (yes, it is
factually the same thing, but the difference between those ways of saying and
approaching it is key if you want any chance of anyone wanting to spend their
precious spare time on helping to run your mud)

Chain of command is good, but think carefully about how you present that and
how you deal with people.

> * Forbidding multi-accounting or multi-charing

Good luck enforcing that. IPs can be had cheaply, so people can have their
multiple chars login from different IPs easily.

Additionally, more experienced players often do like to also have a lower
level char around.

Imo, its not a problem if people have multiple chars, but it should not be
allowed to play both at the same time, or to exchange things (equipment, other
items, credits etc etc etc) between those.

> * Forbidding bots/macros

Near impossible to enforce as a rule, but possible to deal with with good game
design. Ensure there is little to gain from bots and macros or people will use
them.

> * Forbidding advertising of other muds

Does that mean people are not allowed to talk about other muds at all? or not
on in-game public channels and locations? or?

> * Forbidding the sharing of quest information.

So, a multi-player game where people are not allowed to share information that
is important for playing? I know a lot of muds tried this, and I've only ever
seen it turn into failure, sometimes small, oftentimes huge.

I understand the reasoning behind it, but I don't understand how it can work
in what is a multi-player game, and even less so if team play has any role in
that game.

In general, they sound like rules you'd find on many classic muds, but rules
that imo all failed to some level because they are neigh impossible to enforce
and run counter to the concepts of multi-player games.

Bart.
--
https://www.bartsplace.net/
https://wotf.org/