[DGD] Codes of conduct on a mud

Tony Demetriou tony.demetriou at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 09:18:38 CET 2018

My only comments is that I don't think there are any hard and fast rules.

The list you gave is pretty common, and for good reason. But even then,
there's no reason why you couldn't have a very successful mud without any
of those rules.

For example, multi-accounts or multi-chars is only an issue if there's some
sort of unfair advantage that you can get. In a mud where you can't help
yourself by playing two cars, and where having another account won't give
you any advantage, there's no need for those rules. Or even if it does give
an advantage, it may be easier to just allow it than deal with the
enforcement.

The set of rules, and how they are enforced, will help shape the character
of the community. They should be considered individually, depending on what
the mud requires, and how much responsibility the playerbase can be trusted
with.

Skotos muds require players to do a lot of the work to create a roleplay
environment, to stay in character, to separate character and player
knowledge, and to "make things happen" - many muds won't push for
roleplaying to be so central, are much less strict about metagaming, and
allow game mechanics to drive more of the action, or will be more forgiving
of players who prefer to "play themselves" rather than staying in-character
100% of the time. We'd expect their central rules to be very different to
Skotos games. Not better or worse, just different.

... in my opinion, of course.

Cheers,
Tony