[DGD] Simul-kfuns

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Sun May 6 22:53:17 CEST 2018

Larry Moore <cylis at mts.net> wrote:

> Greetings, what I would like to do is set up simul-kfuns in a manner they mimic simul-efuns of MudOS. As it stands now, we’re defining our simul-kfuns in the auto object. The issue I have with this is that in order to update a single simul-kfun, I cannot compile the simul-kfun’s file, but instead compile the auto object.

I didn't see you mention why this is an issue.  Could you explain what
the problem with recompiling the auto object is?

> Is there a way of setting up a file to be inherited by every object other than the auto object? My concern is if I put the simul-kfun file into an include header file, and the simul-kfun is defined nomask, will every file in the inheritance chain complain of a redefinition of a nomask function?

Putting nomask functions in header files will definitely cause trouble.
Generally speaking, it's almost always a bad idea to put code in an
include file.  That also applies to just putting function prototypes in
an include file; this might be beneficial for MudOS but for DGD it's
pointless.

Putting simul-efuns in an object inherited by every object other than the
auto object is possible, but it might not accomplish what you expect.  To
add or change a simul-efun, you would still need to recompile that object,
and therefore every other object in the game as well, apart from the auto
object.

Regards,
Felix Croes