[DGD] Code libraries for DGD and Hydra

Felix A. Croes felix at dworkin.nl
Thu Oct 11 20:43:08 CEST 2018

I have archived another project, which attempted to accomplish the
same goals as Hydra, and which is designed in a similar way.

Its name is RedDwarf Server, formerly knows as Project Darkstar.  It is
an open source Java project.  Like Hydra, it implements an event-driven
system where tasks are run concurrently, and which simulates a single-
threaded system where all tasks are sequential.

However, where Hydra uses LPC as its internal language, RedDwarf uses
Java in the place of LPC.  This imposes some constraints, since Java
was not designed to be an event-driven language; things like atomic
functions are not possible.  Furthermore, where Hydra uses optimistic
concurrency, RedDwarf Server uses pessimistic concurrency: it locks
the resources it uses, and discovers collisions between tasks through
deadlock detection.

The project was abandoned.  I have saved all of the development
history which was published as open source, from repositories which
no longer exist today.  Different components of the project are in
different branches of the same repository.

    https://github.com/dworkin/reddwarf

Regards,
Felix Croes