[DGD] Code libraries for DGD and Hydra

bart at wotf.org bart at wotf.org
Fri Sep 21 15:46:32 CEST 2018

With the closures extension you can create a function pointer to a static
function, and pass that to another object, which can call that static function
despite it not being 'visible' to that object. If you provide the 'worker'
object as argument while creating the closure, you have something which can
only be created by the object that contains the static function, and is easy
to check for being used by the intended object, this all with relatively
little overhead.

Its quite possible to simulate this functionality without the closures
extension, so calling it syntactic sugar is technically correct. I do however
think the syntax makes the resulting code cleaner and easier to understand,
and also it should reduce some overhead due to being handled by the driver
instead of some lpc code.

I'd like the operator overloads you mention, and I can see how those might
help with the 'clean code' argument, but not with the overhead one, rather,
LWOs getting copied to the 'local' dataspace once a task finishes when passed
to another object makes me think it would introduce more overhead.

Bart.

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 08:12:07 +0200, Felix A. Croes wrote

https://www.bartsplace.net/
https://wotf.org/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrobjective/