[MUD-Dev] Graphic MUDS/perspectives

Koster Koster
Tue Aug 5 13:57:22 CEST 1997

On Thursday, July 31, 1997 2:13 PM, Matt
Chatterley[SMTP:root at mpc.dyn.ml.org] wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Koster, Raph wrote:
> > On Tuesday, July 29, 1997 6:46 PM, Matt
Chatterley[SMTP:root at mpc.dyn.ml.org] wrote:

> I'm not particularly into modern graphics technology - but to give
an
> example of a game I think used good, appropriate graphics, Legend of
Zelda
> 4 (on the SNES) was great fun for a few months, and not too hard on
the
> eyes. It was a sort of overhead view(ish) style, which I personally
prefer
> to 3d. This is partially related to my having the directional sense
of a
> dead gopher stuck up a drainpipe.

Personally, I find a somewhat distanced view preferable for graphical
muds. The first person perspective limits peripheral vision, and that
in turn limits social interaction. The graphics technology is not yet
up to displaying sufficient detail to convey facial expressions and
the like except at very close distances, so even if you implement them
as Meridian 59 did, you never stand close enough to someone to see
them. It was an oddity in M59 that players stood spatially at great
distances from one another, and then conversed  normally in the text
window. The result was that for me anyway, the graphics were actually
less immersive than the text int hat I had to bounce back and forth
between two mental images of the conversation--one which was close
camaraderie and the other which was shouting across a town square.

First person does however have some huge advantages in the combat
area, particularly targeting of missiles. :)

> > For muds to evolve, they need to become unpredictable.
>
> First, they must become less predictable.

Aww, let's be ambitious. ;)

-Raph