[MUD-Dev] Ultima Online/Generalized AI

Koster Koster
Tue Aug 5 14:13:30 CEST 1997

On Thursday, July 31, 1997 2:16 PM, Adam
Wiggins[SMTP:nightfall at user2.inficad.com] wrote:

> Well, as you yourself have said, you have to replace the mechanisms
> which are normally served by area resets, admin intervention, or
hard-coded
> quests.  I'm curious as to how possible and then what the general
> mechanics are for common examples such as:
>
> * Dragon arrives, takes up residence in nearby mountain.  Begins
terrorizing
> local town.  Heros arrive to take on the dragon..

A dragon is defined as a creature that eats large amount of meat,
prefers mountain habitat, lairs in caves, defends his territory, and
is fairly aggressive; plus he likes gold. Oh yeah, and he can fly.
Plus you toss on the usual bunch of stats and stuff. But the important
part is defining those characteristics: what does he eat? Where does
he live? What does he like and dislike?

Given a spawn system, doesn't matter what it is, you'll get a dragon.