[MUD-Dev] Dots in a name?

Sun Aug 10 11:49:52 CEST 1997

[Martin K:]

:The problem I have is with implementations - how do I know how non-ASCII
:characters are being displayed on the client side? MSD*S uses a different
:character set from Windows, which is different from the Mac and Unix and
:NT.
:
:Is this problem insurmountable?

Well, you can just pick one, and ignore everyone else! Mainly because that's
what the Amiga uses, I picked ISO Latin-1, which works not bad for many
international uses. The codes for it seem to work on many UNIX boxes as
well, and I suspect can be made to work on PC's. A friend with a Mac
complained that the E-acute I had used in the name "Faberge" was some
wierd thing on his system. I thought about it a bit and decided I didn't
really care.

Of course Microsoft would prefer you use Unicode.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA