[MUD-Dev] Graphic MUDS/Ultima Online

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Tue Aug 12 22:12:18 CEST 1997

>In <199708040104.SAA03131 at user2.inficad.com>, on 08/03/97
>   at 06:00 PM, Adam Wiggins <nightfall at user2.inficad.com> said:
>
>>I've never seen a descent looking 3D landscape, realtime or rendered.
>>Organic shapes just don't take well to polygons, and it's difficult
>>to get the rich colors of a fantasy world in 3D.

Hmm. Then Ild hesitate to say you haven't seen many rendered images..

Ild sugegst yo ustart with an image called "The Road to Poin Reyes" done by
The Lucasfilm Computer group (now Pixar) about 15 years ago, and it onyl
gets even better from there.

Polygons are the oldest and most primitive way to describe a surface.
theya re stil lsued today mainly because..
(1) game Programmers tend to lag behind the science..
(2) Its the fastest thing to draw and easiest thing to put on a chip.

>From Polygons, you go to Splines, CSG trees, and a whoel host of even mroe
esoteric ways of describing surfaces like fractals and octrees and such.

Its worth noting that the s3D chip, which failed becuase no game progrmamer
undersrtod it, was  hsrdware spline renderer.

This was my field (3D rendering) befoer I mvoed itno Multi Media and games.

Jeff Kesselman

Jeff Kesselman
Snr. Game Integration Engineer
TEN -- The Total Entertainment Network -- www.ten.net