[MUD-Dev] Graphic MUDS/Ultima Online

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Wed Aug 13 07:15:38 CEST 1997

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Jeff Kesselman wrote:

> At 08:14 AM 8/12/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:

> >> Why use the chair?  If you're an 8 foot ogre, you could use the innkeeper.
>
> This also points otu the problem with partially modeling physics.  The
> inkeerp might be liftable. But hes not abalnced weapon nor is he rigid when
> you try to swing him.  Then theres the issue of give in the inkeepers body
> absorbign soem of the damage when he collides with something...

Yeah. There are also other associated problems with allowing livings to be
used (at least for me). Least of which is actually picking them up (moves
are written to prevent one living ever being inside another), and stopping
them snagging things from your inventory once picked up! The code just
isn't intended to allow it. I think the nearest I will come to this will
be in the form of special attacks (termed 'spells'), allowing the use of
several opponents against each other.

> Personalyl thsi is why I see this approachas ultimately less fruitful then
> an abstracted but consistant model such as  you see in a good pen and paper
> RPG (and no I WONt mention Hero again... whooops, i just did ;) )  Ocne you
> start making your rules "do what you'ld do in the real world" anything
> SHORT of a complete simulation of every aspect of the real world becoems a
> bug...

Or at least a more obvious shortfall/lacking.

> JK
> Jeff Kesselman
> Snr. Game Integration Engineer
> TEN -- The Total Entertainment Network -- www.ten.net

> Speak Geek!
> http://krypton.mankato.msus.edu/~hayden/geek.html

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"Speak softly and carry a big stick." -Theodore Roosevelt