[MUD-Dev] RP=MUSH/PG=MUD

Martin Keegan martin at cam.sri.com
Thu Aug 14 04:25:54 CEST 1997

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

> >> Quite.  There was an earlier thread postulating the ability for
> >> players to name any object or location in the game privately to
> >> themselves.  Thus, while the location may be labelled, "Harry's Bar",
> >> and have a large sign saying such, and be referred to as such by many,
> >> a player would be able to assign a new private name to it for himself:
>
> >I remember you mentioned this on r.g.m.diku last year. I really
> >dislike the idea of players being able to rename things arbitrarily (
> >I think you renamed a waitress "Boopsie" ), as it will destroy any
> >internal consistency the game has.

Well, if the effect you're trying to achieve involves loads of old druid
blokes crouched round a dolmen chanting their magical incantataions, and
the player hears their names: Drynhirth, Eltanel, Griniath, Renfrwyn and
Calidorn, you don't want someone (*) renaming them Knknkqqkl, Samfox,
Dagon, and Azazoth, as this destroys the consistency of the world.

Mk

(*) does anyone know who Knknkqqkl *was*, BTW ;)?