[MUD-Dev] New Topic: ButtheadS and Jurisprudance

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Thu Aug 14 16:52:37 CEST 1997

In <3.0.2.32.19970814153214.00895220 at mail.tenetwork.com>, on 08/14/97
   at 03:37 PM, Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com> said:

...details of cannibalistic legal system deletia...

>Thsi is a very interesting idea, at elast fro a MUD tryign to
>represent a mroe or less democratic society.

Actually I thought one of the advantages of the system was that it
wasn't in the slightest democratic.  (I'm not a fan of democracies or
democratic systems BTW)  It was expressly to prevent democratic farces
that features such as:

  -- publicising the juror list _prior_ to the trial, thus allowing
jurors to be attacked, corrupted, murdered, etc.

  -- allowing jurors to sell, trade, or otherwise dispose of their
jurorship, thus increasing corrupting possiblities, stacking of the
jury by the anit-accused, as well as allowing the accused to attempt
to stack the deck in his favour (eg get one juror on his side and then
equip him with murderous weaponry etc).

  -- teleporting jurors with all carried equipment to the courtroom to
encourage mayhem in the courtroom.

  -- requiring all surviving members of the jury to be in the named
pen when the button was pressed, thus allow verdict selection by
attrition or the last-survivor tactic.

  -- Not recording crimes et al within the court room, thus making the
court rooms a laissez faire survival contest.

etc.

>Thanks fro the insights

Welcome.  Coming up with little micro systems like that is something I
enjoy and do a lot.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com