[MUD-Dev] Character evolution

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Sun Aug 17 15:10:44 CEST 1997

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997 02:47:51 PST8PDT, Matt Chatterley
<root at mpc.dyn.ml.org> wrote:

>Weight, or rather, mass, will probably fluctuate slightly if you don't
>eat (you will eventually become emancipated,

I think you mean 'emaciated'. Otherwise, slaves would merely have to go
on hunger strikes to free themselves... which is a vastly amusing
concept to me, and would explain why so many political prisoners do it
;)

>> There are other things that could be added also, although I wouldn't
>> go so far as to code toiletries....as amusing as it would be to watch
>> players 'nip off behind the bushes' before a fight, or wet themselves
>> in combat if they didn't (and had recently drank a lot).
>
>Don't forget that well trained persons can exercise a great deal of
>control over such bodily functions - and factor in fright. ;)

You know, I had a DM once kill off an entire party in an adventure
because he said up front 'if you don't say it, you don't do it'... and
then about thirty minutes into the adventure, he had us all pass out and
get eaten by a passing creature because we forgot to breathe. The same
DM had on previous occasions had a 'constipation table' on which he
would roll daily, to determine the state of your digestive system. He
found the whole thing vastly amusing, particularly when members of the
party would come down with terrible diarrhea.

In other words, this level of detail in a game really rubs me the wrong
way, as I have had very BAD experiences with it. I can just see it
now...

King's Throne Room
You are in the king's throne room.

King Nelgar says 'What hast thou come to ask of me?'
You have to pee.
>hold it
You hold it.
>'I must ask of you a favor, oh mightiest Nelgar of the Northern reach.
You say 'I must ask of you a favor, oh mightiest Nelgar of the Northern
reach.'
You have to pee quite badly.
>hold it
You hold it.
King Nelgar says 'And what wouldst thou require of me, then? Out with
it!'
You REALLY have to pee.
>hold it
You can't! You piss yourself.
Sithgar laughs and points.
Jirical says 'Ewwwww.'
Belthan laughs.
King Nelgar shouts 'An insult! Off with his head!'
Big Buffed-Out Guard arrives from the east.
Big Buffed-Out Guard arrives from the east.
Big Buffed-Out Guard arrives from the east.
Big Buffed-Out Guard arrives from the west.
Big Buffed-Out Guard arrives from the west.
Big Buffed-Out Guard arrives from the west.
>'Oh shit

 You see me now, a veteran of a thousand psychic wars. I've been
 living on the edge so long, where the winds of limbo roar. And
 I'm young enough to get involved, too old to see, all the scars
 are on the inside; I'm not sure that there's anything left of me
               -- Blue Oyster Cult, "Veteran of the Psychic Wars"