[MUD-Dev] Character evolution

Matt Chatterley root at mpc.dyn.ml.org
Sun Aug 17 16:41:29 CEST 1997

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Aug 1997 02:47:51 PST8PDT, Matt Chatterley
> <root at mpc.dyn.ml.org> wrote:
>
> >Weight, or rather, mass, will probably fluctuate slightly if you don't
> >eat (you will eventually become emancipated,
>
> I think you mean 'emaciated'. Otherwise, slaves would merely have to go
> on hunger strikes to free themselves... which is a vastly amusing
> concept to me, and would explain why so many political prisoners do it
> ;)

*Koff* Well, now everyone knows why I elected to not continue studying
english. ;)

> >> There are other things that could be added also, although I wouldn't
> >> go so far as to code toiletries....as amusing as it would be to watch
> >> players 'nip off behind the bushes' before a fight, or wet themselves
> >> in combat if they didn't (and had recently drank a lot).
> >
> >Don't forget that well trained persons can exercise a great deal of
> >control over such bodily functions - and factor in fright. ;)
>
> You know, I had a DM once kill off an entire party in an adventure
> because he said up front 'if you don't say it, you don't do it'... and
> then about thirty minutes into the adventure, he had us all pass out and
> get eaten by a passing creature because we forgot to breathe. The same
> DM had on previous occasions had a 'constipation table' on which he
> would roll daily, to determine the state of your digestive system. He
> found the whole thing vastly amusing, particularly when members of the
> party would come down with terrible diarrhea.

The mind boggles. This is of course absurd in tabletop RPGs, but trivial
when taken in a computer environment (as long as its handled with some
modicum of reality in mind so as not to just be annoying).

> In other words, this level of detail in a game really rubs me the wrong
> way, as I have had very BAD experiences with it. I can just see it
> now...
>
> King's Throne Room
> You are in the king's throne room.
>
> King Nelgar says 'What hast thou come to ask of me?'
> You have to pee.
> >hold it
> You hold it.
> >'I must ask of you a favor, oh mightiest Nelgar of the Northern reach.
> You say 'I must ask of you a favor, oh mightiest Nelgar of the Northern
> reach.'
> You have to pee quite badly.
> >hold it
> You hold it.
> King Nelgar says 'And what wouldst thou require of me, then? Out with
> it!'
> You REALLY have to pee.
> >hold it
> You can't! You piss yourself.
> Sithgar laughs and points.
> Jirical says 'Ewwwww.'
> Belthan laughs.
> King Nelgar shouts 'An insult! Off with his head!'
> Big Buffed-Out Guard arrives from the east.
> Big Buffed-Out Guard arrives from the east.
> Big Buffed-Out Guard arrives from the east.
> Big Buffed-Out Guard arrives from the west.
> Big Buffed-Out Guard arrives from the west.
> Big Buffed-Out Guard arrives from the west.
> >'Oh shit

*Laf*

Regards,
	-Matt Chatterley
	http://user.itl.net/~neddy/index.html
"Speak softly and carry a big stick." -Theodore Roosevelt