[MUD-Dev] Character evolution

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Sun Aug 31 13:01:25 CEST 1997

At 10:09 AM 8/31/97 PST8PDT, JCL wrote:

>On 27/08/97 at 07:05 PM, Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com> said:
>>At 06:58 PM 8/27/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>
>Attributions!
>
>>>I know I'm reacting to a troll, but yes, I would.  I have lived in
>>>parts of the world with governments like that.  The fact that that
>>>_is_ a part of the present RL environment would seem the a compelling
>>>reason to enclude it -- it is a point of familiarity, predictability
>>>for your players.  It also allow you as game designer to have fun with
>>>the concept, encouraging your players to view it from other, more
>>>external viewpoints.
>
>>Hmm. So by your argument we shoudl all be playigna  game where we
>>werok our asses off and peopel we have n ocontrol over who are
>>corrupt as heel coem and take a large aprt oif what we make on threat
>>of icnarceration.
>
>No, you are being facetious.  I propose that embedding such systems
>into the game in a manner which could be *interesting* is valid.

I dont believe I am JCL.  Maybe my point was not clear.  My point was that
pretending to be the victim of something you are afraid of in everyday life
is in no way part of 'fun'.  The only exception is, in SOME cases, and for
limited times, SATIRE of those fears.  (the game Paranoia comes to mind.)
Satire by its cosntruction is safe and a release.

That simple.

>Of course not.  Escapism and all that rot.  However you can put in the
>base enviornmental structures and then parody or otherwise enjoy them.

Ah, okay. Then we agree I guess, excepr that soem things work well satrized
and soem things do not.  Actual personal raumas generally dont respond well
to satire.  (Yeah I know M.A.S.H., the mvoie, codu lbe argued as somewhat
of an exception.  But if I had Robert Altman's talent Ild be doign movies.)

JK

Jeff Kesselman
Snr. Game Integration Engineer
TEN -- The Total Entertainment Network -- www.ten.net