[MUD-Dev] META: FAQ and Thread Summaries

Vadim Tkachenko vadimt at 4cs.com
Thu Dec 4 12:42:26 CET 1997

--------------5513AA4267E0C5AB01A389B5

Chris Gray wrote:

> [Greg:]
>
> :my one suggestion, make it a nicely formatted HTML doc.
>
> Blech!
>
> (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
>
> Seriously though, that format might be convenient for some, but it makes
> the documents completely unreadable by anything other than an HTML thingy.
> The reverse is not true. If we introduce HTML, we then open up the can of
> worms of compatibility. Who has tools that enforce HTML-2 conformance?
> By default, most browsers don't conform, and many systems have extensions
> that are completely non-portable. For now, we could easily say that we
> have no reason to use any of those tags, but the best intentions often
> go very astray!

Yes, HTML is a pain in the neck to maintain, but think of it in terms of
visualization - it's really easy and nice to _use_ the result. As for
maintaining it, my solution was so far to use the plaintext or some
database format, and a simple HTML generator which gives you the
excellent result without a pain of modifying it.

And, you get a benefit of being able to visualize the result in any
other way you consider appropriate. Just replace HTML in a paragraph
above with your favorite format.

BTW, that seems to be the common approach novadays - a lot of MUDs, as
it seems, maintain their helps in a form which can be used by both MUD
engine itself as well as by the Web users - CGI of a sort.

--
Still alive and smile stays on,
Vadim Tkachenko <VadimT at 4CS.Com>

begin:          vcard