META: FAQ and Thread Summaries

s001gmu at nova.wright.edu s001gmu at nova.wright.edu
Thu Dec 4 15:06:27 CET 1997

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Chris Gray wrote:

> [Greg:]
>
> :my one suggestion, make it a nicely formatted HTML doc.
>
> Blech!
>
> (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

It's ok.. everyone is entitled to their own oppinion, no matter how wrong
it is.  ;)

> Seriously though, that format might be convenient for some, but it makes
> the documents completely unreadable by anything other than an HTML thingy.
> The reverse is not true. If we introduce HTML, we then open up the can of
> worms of compatibility. Who has tools that enforce HTML-2 conformance?
> By default, most browsers don't conform, and many systems have extensions
> that are completely non-portable. For now, we could easily say that we
> have no reason to use any of those tags, but the best intentions often
> go very astray!

well, by 'nicely formatted' I mean something simple and to the point.
one document with a table of contents that has links to the sections
further down is all I ask.  follow the KISS rule... Keep It Simple,
Stupid. :)  makes going between text and HTML REALLY easy.
it doesn't have to win any net.awards.

-Greg