[MUD-Dev] Wild west (was Guilds & Politics)

Mike Sellers mike at online-alchemy.com
Mon Dec 8 08:17:32 CET 1997

At 05:47 AM 12/8/97 PST8PDT, Alex Oren wrote:
>How about dividing the mud into zones with more or less strict law
enforcement
>in each.
>
>For example, you'll have cities in which even the slightest perceived act of
>stealing or violence will instantly set the town guard on your tail, post
>"wanted" ads all over the place and in general make life miserable for you.
>While at the same time, there will be areas in which free PK is the norm.
>
>Sort of localized governments or law-enforcement agencies.

Yes, exactly.  Of course, the players themselves (via their own
governments) should be able to set their local law-level.  You want a
zero-tolerance to crime area?  Fine... but you'll have to live with it when
it's inconvenient.  Similarly, if you want to live in Bartertown (ala
"Thunderdome") that's cool too.  The rub (and frankly, a fair amount of
gameplay) comes from when someone from Stalintown has to venture to
Bartertown or vice versa.

>- Hey, Bubba, I have stashed the scepter of Googoo(TM) just outside of town.
>  Wanna come with me and have it?
>
>- Outside of the town?  Isn't it a wild lawless land?
>
>- Come on, don't worry.  Don't you trust me?  (muhahaha...)

Heheheheh, I love it.  "Your daughter ran away and went to *where*?  Are
you kidding?  You'd have to pay me triple that before I'd haul my carcass
over there..."

Mike Sellers                                    Chief Alchemist
mike at online-alchemy.com                         Online Alchemy

        Combining art & science to create new worlds.