[MUD-Dev] Wild west (was Guilds & Politics)

Mike Sellers mike at online-alchemy.com
Tue Dec 9 09:38:20 CET 1997

At 08:06 AM 12/9/97 PST8PDT, Alex Oren wrote:
>As long as the separation between areas is *heavily* advertised, this might
>not be a problem.
>
>Harassment of others in the "wild west" zones will be allowed.
>Don't want to be harassed?  Don't go there!
>
>In the "civilized east", you can implement all kinds of safeguards
discussed >in other threads.

Personally though, I don't want this to be too "canned."  If you try to
design in areas that are necessarily safe or dangerous (excepting the wild
beasties), then the very people you're trying to corral into the dangerous
area will do their best to "ruin" (in our view, not theirs) the safe ones.
Better, I think, to let the players do this themselves with local law
enforcement at whatever level they choose.  Then people will find their own
level.  It would be cool, I guess, if places where 'evil' events occur
(multiple PKs, for example) started to take on more of an evil appearance,
both for atmosphere and to warn newbies that they might want to be careful.
 That'd give a cool rationale for _why_ the evil forest looks so evil too. ;)

Mike Sellers                                    Chief Alchemist
mike at online-alchemy.com                         Online Alchemy

        Combining art & science to create new worlds.