[MUD-Dev] META: FAQ and Thread Summaries

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Tue Dec 9 09:53:51 CET 1997

On 03/12/97 at 08:24 PM, Ola Fosheim Gr=B0stad <olag at ifi.uio.no> said: >A=
dam
Wiggins <nightfall at user1.inficad.com> wrote:
>>[coder at ibm.net:]

>>People are getting confused by constant references to Bubba? :)

>Seriously. I was. My thoughts went along the lines:

As the originator of Bubba, Boffo, Bernie, Biff, and company, that gallan=
team of scenario, and game design stress testers, I should probably
comment.

I like 'em.  I actually created them with the express intention of making
them instantly recognisable (well, Bubba and Boffo at least) as the the
archetypal MUD characters or NPC's, much as 'foo' and 'bar' have become i=
the world of programming.  I think such common pieces help reduce
discussion of complex scenarios to a more simple algebra where the
actually unique portions can be concentrated on without distraction.  Muc=
as I like the names for the characters I play, I woudln't want to see the=
reduced to such.

What I find vastly more amusing is the spread in use of "Bubba" in
rec.games.mud.* discussion among non list members.

--=20
J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net