[MUD-Dev] META: FAQ and Thread Summaries

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Tue Dec 9 10:32:39 CET 1997

On 06/12/97 at 11:57 AM, Marian Griffith <gryphon at iaehv.nl> said: >On Tue
02 Dec, coder at ibm.net wrote:

>> Writing as list owner:

>> This is an idea that has been proposed several times to date, I'm looking
>> for comments:

>>   1) That the list should have a FAQ and FAQ maintainer.

>I am not sure there are enough questions asked but probably this is a
>good idea. If it is feasible I see no reason not to do this :)

True.  It wouldn't actually be a FAQ, but a general commentary on the
list.

>Maybe somebody starting a new subject  should make it clear what she
>wants to discuss.  One or two lines at the start of the post.  Every
>other contribution to that discussion  could copy those lines so you can
>see at first glance what the post is rougly about.
>If somebody wants to go off at a tangent for whatever reason she can add
>another of such topic lines to the post so you know it that is a
>different subject.

>e.g. (to borrow from a recent subject)

>[smart monsters]
>[Folklore and (hi)stories written inside the mud]

>Things like that would make it more easily understandable what a post was
>about.  It would also help summarising the discussion I think. Do you
>think this would work?

Ola has proposed and championed such controls that last time this area
come up.  I think it is a Good Idea.  I also think it would be a Bad Thing
to enforce it.  As such I'd tend to leave it in the individual poster's
hands.

The problem is that often a lot of value and really interesting areas are
uncovered when a thread wanders or splits to encompass a broader area.  I
don't want to discourage that.  At the time of the discussion with Ola, I
suggested a number of techniques I use to try and control topic, such as
multiple replies to the same posting, each reply covering a different
area.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net