[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics [was Affecting the World]

Richard Woolcock KaVir at dial.pipex.com
Wed Dec 10 04:44:32 CET 1997

Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
>=20
> Marian Griffith <gryphon at iaehv.nl> wrote:
> >But to answer your question. No. There is nothing inherently wrong wit=
> >being a jerk on a roleplaying game,  but only if you are actually role=
-
> >playing that jerk. There is a great deal wrong with -being- a jerk on =
> >roleplaying game.
>=20
> In some sense I agree, although I think most jerks are jerks because
> they view the game as DOOM.  It is however a bit difficult to tell
> whether they are a jerk or are trying to roleplay one, from the
> outside.  I guess one could rephrase my question as: Isn't it true
> that you invite people to act like jerks my calling your MUD a game or
> a roleplaying game?  Can you really blame them? :-)

A roleplayed jerk wouldn't spam you, or make out-of-character personal
remarks like "man you SUCK at this game", nor would they make OOC racist
remarks or use profanity if it was banned.  Real jerks will often do just
that, as well as exploit bugs repeatedly and cheat whenever possible.  A=20
roleplayed jerk might well kill you and laugh about it, or bully you arou=
nd. =20
They might say to your elf character "Hey pointy ears, get back up your=20
pansy tree-house!", etc.

> >> I've got another question.  Does thousands (or rather millions) of
> >> players add anything vital to the experience at all?  Maybe thousand=
> >> of separate systems with several hundred players each is equally
> >> rewarding, even more rewarding, because the probability of bumping
> >> into a friend is higher.
> >
> >With more players you can more easily have a kind of society in your
> >game, which might make the game more enjoyable.
>=20
> Yes, it might. Maybe.  Or maybe not?

*shrug* too many players can be a put-off unless the world is big enough
to handle them.  Too few players takes a lot of the fun out of the game.

KaVir.