[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics

Koster Koster
Thu Dec 11 09:30:46 CET 1997

On Wednesday, December 10, 1997 10:43 AM, Stephen
Zepp[SMTP:zoran at enid.com] wrote:
> >A description of the system in place in UO:
>

> Umm, ever consider black marks/suspicions, and "righteous combat"?

Sure, we've considered them. Basically, every extension to this system
has to be unabusable in any way, or it doesn't go in. Define an "act
of war" in such a way that requires no admin intervention whatsoever,
and that is capable of limiting the freedom from notoriety effects to
only members of the opposing army, wherein said army can ONLY be
joined by those who have valid cause to join it... you get the idea.
It's quickly much tougher than it seems.

>  If I
> attack to defend my home/possessions, I'm probably gonna receive
_more_
> positive noteriety,

Unless you make your living by luring people into your house and
butchering them...

> and mass combat simply requires an "act of war" to make
> it valid for _both_ sides...

How do you trap it? :) And how do you define a "side?"

> in addition, maybe go away from an overall
> black/white scale...their should be factions out there that will
interact
> _positively_ with players of "questionable notoriety", even asking
the
> player to be a part of their group ( Assassin's Guild is lookin for
new
> killers...only experienced Mass Murderers need apply ).

This part, of course, is easy.