[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics

Thu Dec 11 21:11:05 CET 1997

"Koster, Raph" <rkoster at origin.ea.com> wrote:
>On Wednesday, December 10, 1997 7:19 AM, Ola Fosheim=20
>Gr=F8stad[SMTP:olag at ifi.uio.no] wrote:
>> "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at origin.ea.com> wrote:
>
>> >BUT any code system which attempts to judge human behavior is=20
>doomed
>> >to screw up. :P
>>
>> So... It didn't work??  Give us the gory details please!!! :)

>Work, not work... whew. :P Tough question. Quickie overview:

[...]

>However, do I believe it's better than nothing? Heck yeah.

Thanks for sharing.  Is this done at a character or a player level?

I would never consider such an approach myself, partially because I
belive in providing an environment where player activities forms the
content, partially because it is too much "1984".  Of course, you
provide a lot of content in your design, and I guess you've made an
effort in "saving" that content from OOC abuse.

However, from reading your description I get the feeling that you have
implemented a computerized version of human stereotyping. :P If you
are throwing all kinds of "good" and "bad" behaviour into the same
bin, you will obviously run into some serious problems.  Are all of
the actions you track so serious that you need a continuously working
allpowerfull electric jury?

DOOMing is obviously a problem that could be avoided through design
without removing playerkilling.  But I think you would have to base
this on a really careful analysis of player behaviour.  What is a
DOOMer doing consistantly that other people won't do consistantly?  I
think one has to be able to answer this question to end up with
anything reasonable.

(you could of course use a neural net trained on logs from known
doomers to track down new doomers, but that is rather computationally
expensive)

Ola.