[MUD-Dev] Gods, worshipers and the balance

Stephen Zepp zoran at enid.com
Sat Dec 13 16:29:06 CET 1997

--------------84F387A1153B333EEF4F75CF

Chris Gray wrote:

> [Vadim T:]
>
> :- I should (well, at least I want) to preserve the balance.
> :- Energy levels of both God and worshiper _should_ increase, in game.
> :- to preserve the balance, I introduce anti-god - some entity which
> :exists on the material plane and is the exact opposite to the given God.
>
> Hmm. You could have the set of power available to gods be a fixed pool.
> Worship of god A increases god A's power, but slighter decreases the power
> of all other gods, so that the sum stays fixed. The worshipper only sort
> of borrows the god's power, so they don't need to be in the sum. This
> leads to the possibility of worshipper's draining a god's power, but in
> turn being able to replenish it by more worship. To be a sound economy,
> I guess when power is expended by a god or it's worshippers, it then
> adds to the power of the other gods (or perhaps to all gods evenly).
>
> --
> Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA

Hmm...very interesting idea...or, have _no_ set pool, but a balanced upkeep system, or even have "worship points" expire
just slightly less fast then they accumulate in the god's pool.  I like the idea of a god having a small amount of power
on their own, which is enhanced by worshippers "investing" more power in the god via worship ( Cthulu mythos works
nicely with this concept ).  The worship points get used up by granting power to the god's mortals, and/or just
manifesting a physical existence ( in their particular plane, or wherever ).  Sort of a parallel to someone's concept of
roleplay points listed earlier on the list and maintaining political status with them.
Zoran
--------------84F387A1153B333EEF4F75CF

begin:          vcard
fn:             Stephen Zepp
n:              Zepp;Stephen
org:            Lords of the Shadow ( telnet://soe.nuc.net:8888 )
email;internet: zoran at enid.com
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1