[MUD-Dev] Introductions and

Mike Sellers mike at online-alchemy.com
Thu Dec 18 11:00:35 CET 1997

At 03:03 PM 12/14/97 PST8PDT, coder at ibm.net wrote:
>>ok, better question, what if I want to name both of them bubba, in
>>defference to their requests to be named as such?
>
>That's where the rub currently lies.  I don't have a solution I like yet.
>The nickname etc type pattern I just suggested to Sellers might be an
>acceptable solution.

I have a cold, which might account for this evil thought:  if you allowed
for this sort of naming, you could easily create a race of, say, fairly
powerful but extremely contrary elves, each of whom *demands* that you call
him or her "Zinfandel" -- and that you not call any *other* elves by this
name.

This could easily degenerate into a Buckaroo Banzai-like situation, with
everyone named John <something>.  It could be confusing and frustrating,
especially if your ability to tell these individuals apart was not perfect,
but it could be amusing too ("Only *I* am Zinfandel.  All of these others
are confused!" or "I'm not John Smallberries, I'm John Bigbooty!").

More Sudafed, I think...

Mike Sellers                     mike at online-alchemy.com
     Online Alchemy             A division of The Big Network

   Combining art & science to create new worlds.