[MUD-Dev] Wild west (was Guilds & Politics)

Fri Dec 19 21:43:11 CET 1997

Derrick Jones <gunther at online1.magnus1.com> wrote:
><something>' without saving the actual message text.  Emotes, however, I
>would log in their complete form, as they are a rich and diverse source of
>ideas for system commands.  Global and public channels would probably also
>keep the message text in the logs, because the privacy issue cannot hold
>to a public address, but accountability can.

Well, although I can understand the reasoning from your point of view
that isn't enough from a moral POV.  Emotes are exessivly used for
sexual communication for instance.  If you are alone in a public room
then public communication would be viewed as private by the players
and soforth.  I can't see any reason to log identity.

>From my point of view it would be a good idea to kill everyone who I
consider to be more stupid than me. I don't think I could defend this
from an ethical perspective though, but it seems plausible to do so.
I'm sure the world would be a better place for those of us who are
left.

>Finally, the job of administration will be greatly eased by knowing
>exactly what happened in any given incident.  No more claims of 'But _I'm_
>the one who finished the quest first.  Boffo just spam-killed my link,
>took the prize while I was reconnecting, and claimed to have won...'  A
>simple, 'Well, lemme chack the logs...' will make even the most daring
>trickster come clean if they know that you _do_ have the logs to back it
>up.

This is awful...  To me this is a movement towards virtual fascism.

Ola.
(why participate in such discussions in the first place?)